Want platinum perks without applying for an expensive platinum credit card? With a platinum debit card you can. Up to a point anyway. While platinum debit card perks don’t extend to airport lounge access or hotel upgrades, they can provide handy extras in the form of complimentary insurances, personal concierge services and cashback on card spending.
There are currently three platinum debit cards on the market that we’re aware of. Here’s what you need to know.
NAB Platinum Visa Debit Card
With the NAB Platinum Visa Debit Card, you get everything offered on a NAB Visa Debit card, with some nice extras on the side.
• When you use your card overseas, or when shopping online with an international retailer, you will pay no foreign currency fee.
• Help is on hand 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the NAB Concierge Service providing you with your very own travel and lifestyle assistant.
• You can earn 1% cashback on contactless purchases, up to a limit of $10 per month.
• Providing peace of mind, the card offers access to a range of complimentary insurances, which include:
• Overseas travel insurance
• Transport accident insurance
• Interstate flight inconvenience insurance
• Domestic hotel burglary insurance
• Purchase protection insurance
• Extended warranty insurance
• Price protection insurance
The NAB Platinum Visa Debit Card can be linked to a new or existing NAB Classic Banking account. It comes with a $10 monthly card fee. While you can potentially earn this fee back in cashback, that would require a $1,000 monthly spend in contactless payments.
Bankwest Platinum Debit Mastercard
Again, the Bankwest Platinum Debit Mastercard offers the same features as the bank’s standard Debit Mastercard, with a few platinum perks to spice things up.
• You can access Purchase Security Insurance to benefit from 90 days of insurance covering you against loss, theft or damage around the world on eligible card purchases.
• You can benefit from Extended Warranty Insurance on eligible purchases made in Australia, providing up to twelve months extended warranty.
You can link the Bankwest Platinum Debit Mastercard to a number of Bankwest transaction accounts, including the Easy Transaction Account, Qantas Transaction Account, Rewards Transaction Account, Hero Transaction Account, Retirement Advantage Account, and the Offset Transaction Account.
While the Bankwest Platinum Debit Mastercard has no monthly fee, it does require a $4,000 minimum monthly deposit. Other fees may apply.
Macquarie Bank Platinum Transaction Account
The Macquarie Bank Platinum Transaction Account is an award-winner, having been given a 5-star Canstar rating for Outstanding Value Travel Debit Card for 2019/2020. Perks include:
• When spending in a foreign currency, you will receive the Mastercard foreign exchange rate, and you will pay no foreign currency fee.
• You will have your own personal assistant, with access to a personal concierge service 24/7.
• You can benefit from 90-day theft and damage protection on eligible purchases, and stolen wallet protection up to $500.
• Sync your card to your mobile wallet via Apple Pay, Google Pay, Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay.
• Enjoy discounts of up to 10% on eGift cards to use at over 50 leading retailers across Australia with Macquarie Marketplace.
With this platinum debit card and transaction account there doesn’t seem to be any monthly fees, and the bank states there is no minimum monthly deposit. There are no transaction fees or dishonour fees, and the bank will not charge you ATM fees anywhere in the world. You can get free access to any rediATM in Australia, with a refund on fees incurred at all other ATMs in Australia.
Time To Choose?
As you can see, the Platinum Debit Card offering varies from card to card, with some cards charging more than others for the privilege of accessing platinum perks. If you like the look of what’s on offer here, check out the small print in detail to find out all the essential info before you apply.